Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my wonderful mother's birthday! I won't share how old she is on this public blog, she might disown me, haha just kidding....But seriously, I want to share a little bit about my mom and her role in my life. I am so blessed to get to celebrate with her and my whole family later at Disneyland (I'll post some pics of that tomorrow).  I thank the Lord for giving me a mom like her- she has brought me through so much and I truly believe God placed her in my life, and in our family for many reasons.

My mom is a woman who is incredibly selfless and she gives of herself every moment.  I've heard many stories of families with children with CF and as I hear stories of mothers who are just like mine (selfless, encouraging, loving) and stories on the contrary of mothers who don't support their children, I can't help but be thankful for her sacrifice in my life. I am so lucky. When my parents had me, their first child, Cystic Fibrosis was furthest from their mind. I am sure they had dreamed that their child would be healthy, just like each parent dreams. When doctors told my parents the news, I know they went through a flood of emotions and thoughts. Just as any parent would experience, I'm sure it was one of the most difficult moments in life. But through it all, my mother, never, not once, let me feel like I was 'sick' or like I couldn't do anything. She was and still is my number one cheerleader- keeping me encouraged, keeping me focused on what's important, empowering me to embrace who I am and live my life well and loving me each step of the difficult road. She taught me to feel like I could do anything, that CF didn't need to control me mentally but that it was something I could live with and continue on with the dreams and plans I had for myself. She helped me dream and keep those dreams alive, and it's the greatest gift a mom could ever give. 
As I've grown up, my mom has graciously allowed me and taught me to take care of myself. I am glad she taught me to be independent and yet if I need help, she's the first one at my side.  At times when I feel alone or have felt overwhelmed, she is always there to help me pick myself up and work through it. Just these past three weeks, for example, she put down all of her work and responsibilities to take care of me. As I lay with 103 degree fever, she made sure I was eating and drinking and was right by my side when I was admitted to the hospital making sure I was comfortable...and makes sure that I stay on my toes playing cards ;). Each time I go through a hospital stay or a rough time with CF (Or not with CF) she is right there to encourage and love me through it all. She is a woman of wisdom and grace, someone I can go to in the midst of any part of life.

Happy Birthday, mom. You mean so much to me- more than this blog post, any birthday card and any speech could never express. You are an incredible example of someone who works hard, loves with each ounce of your being and is always hoping in the Lord for all things. You never give up and you sacrifice everything for your family. I thank God for you, for how He's brought you in my life and made you the strong, supportive, and loving woman that you are. Thanks for being my mom, my friend, and my encourager and my example of a Godly woman. 
I love you so much.
~Em

No comments: