Thursday, April 30, 2009

9 days in...

It's been a long 9 days, but to be honest- it's been completely God's strength and not mine. I can't believe the week has flown by and I'm still standing on two feet :)...Here's a little update.

After coming in last Monday I spent a whole week on the CF floor at USC. I was put on 3 antibiotics to help clear this infection out and one of them I had an allergy to (Imipenum). By Sunday night my allergy was heightened so much that my heart was in pain, my throat was swelling and I couldn't stop coughing as the itching and burning spread throughout my body. It was such a painful and frustrating experience that my doctor discontinued the med, and Monday had me put in the ICU yet again to try a new one (Cefepiem). I spent 24 hours in the ICU and was thankfully moved back here to the 6th floor where it is a much happier, quieter, friendlier place. Thanks be to God who seriously got me through that time!

Now, I am taking 5 different IV meds to treat not only the bacterial infection but also a fungal infection that has grown inside my lungs.  So, I am thankful to have meds that I am not reacting to and also meds that will be targeting the specific bugs in my lungs. It's been 9 days so far and I don't know when I get to go home, but I sure hope it's soon.

 I am willing to hang in there and really kick this infection, so I pray I can keep going and these meds kick in. That's all for now...time to get some much anticipated sleep.
~Em

3 comments:

Elizabeth & Shea said...

Keep going, champ!

Katey said...

Praying you feel MUCH better soon and can get out of there. WOW...5 IV meds is a lot!!

Jaci Bounds said...

we really need to get you on Skype or iChat or something...then we can video chat!!!