Tuesday, August 19, 2008

1 Month Ago Today...

Pipeline to a Cure was happening! I can't believe it's already been a month since the event...I thought I would post some pictures and also share a little bit deeper about how this event and being involved with the Cystic Fibrosis has been a life-changing event. Even 1 month later, I am still amazed at all that happened and still processing it all, but i'd like to share here a few thoughts...

As I look back on the night of the gala, I am just stunned by the amount of people that were there to hear about CF, the amount of people working hard to put that event on, and then the amount of people who talked with me after I spoke. I talked with many people, and I heard throughout the night of the impact i've made on people, I had no idea and was just stunned by what people said. I've never felt like public speaking was something that I wanted to do...until now, I see that God has placed that ability in me and I see how I can be used for His glory and for good.

For years, I've wondered "What is the purpose in my having CF?" I've read bible passages like Jeremiah 29:11 and Romans 8:28 and i've wondered- how can God use something like CF which is a terrible disease, for something good in His plans, when CF has already altered many of my dreams and plans? Whether you are a Christian or not, most people have wondered "What is my purpose, what am I here for?"

For the first time, at Pipeline, my eyes were opened and I was humbled to see God using CF for good. I felt like my life had a purpose, and I was blown away by that. First, my life and story were used to bring awareness about CF and raise research money. But more than that, my life was used for God's glory as it was obvious to me- I can't do this without God and my prayer was that it would be God who was seen through my heart. Secondly, I felt it to be an incredible honor and responsibility to be an adult with CF, sharing my life and story. I know that the money and awareness raised that night was not just for me- but for the 70,000 other CF patients worldwide. I feel incredibly purposeful knowing that my being alive and 25 can be used to not only bring God the glory, but bring encouragement and hopefully research that many around the globe will benefit from...

Lastly, I realized, if I could work with CF and do my part by using the gifts that God has shown me, to help raise awareness and hopefully bring about a cure through research, then I want to do this the rest of my life or until a cure is found :). I've never thought that working with CF in my life would be something I love- for years i've been shy, I didn't want CF seen in my life and I've been scared to share this disease with others. However, now, I've seen that God can use me, and feel comfortable with my life with CF, I hope to continue doing this. I loved being there, being an 'ambassador' on behalf of the CF Community and I feel a sense of purpose and joy as I'm doing what God has put in me. I have a passion for the CF community, and God has shown me that this is something I am made to do for me and for others with CF...My prayer is that God will continue to use me, and show me how I can use my life with CF for his good. I can't wait for next year, and for all God is developing in me and through me in this campaign to raise money for CF. I am honored to be a part of it :)

Here's to a cure for CF, and for Pipeline to a Cure 2009!!
~Em

Fun pics from the night:









No comments: